JEFFERSON COUNTY, Ala. (WIAT) — The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office has made an arrest following a deadly shooting on Birchwood Street last Friday.
On Monday, detectives obtained a warrant against 18 year-old Jauvon Travis Leonard. Leonard was charged with reckless manslaughter in the death of 19-year-old Avonte Damall Washington.
“According to witness statements, Leonard and the victim were in the residence talking,” the JCSO stated in a statement released Tuesday. “Leonard recklessly pointed a firearm at the victim, inadvertently shooting the victim and killing him.”
Leonard is now in the Jefferson County Jail on $30,000 bond.
This story has been updated to reflect an arrest has been made in the case since it first happened Friday, Feb. 21.
- Homicide investigation underway in east Birmingham
- At least 1 dead as Hurricane Zeta hammers Gulf Coast
- Red Cross gearing up for Hurricane Zeta
- East Alabama prepares for potential impacts from Zeta
- FBI warns ransomware assault threatens US healthcare system