MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — The Alabama prison system reported that an inmate died after being assaulted by another inmate.
A spokeswoman for the Alabama Department of Corrections said Jamaal King, a 34-year-old inmate at Elmore Correctional Facility died Wednesday from injuries sustained in an apparent inmate-on-inmate assault.
The prison system said in a statement that it condemns all violence in its facilities, and the fatal actions taken against King by another inmate are being investigated.
The U.S. Department of Justice last year said violent conditions in Alabama prisons violate the Constitution and threatened to sue the state unless conditions improve.
King was serving a 22-year sentence out of Jefferson County for murder.
- JeffCo. detectives need assistance identifying suspect in CVS attempted robbery
- Unbearable summer heat affects people of color even more during COVID-19 pandemic, lawmakers say
- Second stimulus check: Lawmakers hope to provide relief to lower-income Americans
- US legislators from Virginia want to give refurbished government computers to veterans and students
- ‘Fintastic’ news: Baby Shark Mac and Cheese coming to Walmart