BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — Officials at the Jefferson County Jail in Birmingham are investigating the death of an inmate after he was found hanging in the jail.
Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office tells us an inmate worker was found hanging by a bedsheet in the jail work area at approximately 12:05 p.m. Thursday.
Jefferson County officials say another inmate alerted jail staff, who then on performed CPR until paramedics arrived.
“The inmate had a faint pulse when he was transported to the hospital but died soon after arrival,” the release stated. “The deceased body was turned over to the Coroner’s Office for examination.”
The inmate has not been identified at this time. The death is currently under investigation.
- UAB doctor on CDC Guidelines changes: “An enormous step forward”
- Les Miles, Kansas agree to ‘mutual’ split after LSU report on sexual complaints
- Birmingham realtor in need of life-saving bone marrow transplant
- Josh Jacobs’ case closed; DIU charges dropped against Raiders RB
- Judge orders Arizona man who wore horns in Capitol riot to stay in jail