BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — Officials at the Jefferson County Jail in Birmingham are investigating the death of an inmate after he was found hanging in the jail.
Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office tells us an inmate worker was found hanging by a bedsheet in the jail work area at approximately 12:05 p.m. Thursday.
Jefferson County officials say another inmate alerted jail staff, who then on performed CPR until paramedics arrived.
“The inmate had a faint pulse when he was transported to the hospital but died soon after arrival,” the release stated. “The deceased body was turned over to the Coroner’s Office for examination.”
The inmate has not been identified at this time. The death is currently under investigation.
- ‘You’re not invincible’: a warning from a 28-year-old COVID-19 survivor
- Alabama agrees to play 3 games with Tigers, 2 in Memphis
- Skull found at Michigan home of man killed in Tennessee officer-involved shooting
- Ohio hospital fires nurse who was caught on camera yelling racial slur
- Chilton County records system affected by Ransomware attack