BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — Harvey Updyke, the Alabama Crimson Tide fan who poisoned the oak trees at Toomer’s Corner at Auburn University, has died. He was 71.
Updyke’s granddaughter confirmed his death to CBS 42 Thursday night.
Updyke famously, or infamously, poisoned the trees that are seen as a sanctuary for Auburn Tiger fans back in 2010 following Auburn’s win over Alabama in the Iron Bowl. He subsequently called in to “The Paul Finebaum Show” to tell the host what he had done.
The damage to the trees, which had been a staple of Auburn life for decades, was irreparable and the university ultimately cut down the trees in 2013. New trees were planted in their place.
- Officers investigate murder, suicide in Oxford
- 19-year-old arrested after drugs, AR-15 found during traffic stop
- CDC says people who recover from COVID-19 are protected up to 3 months
- 2 domestic violence deaths being investigated in Oxford
- Birmingham Police Department reinstates bike patrols in downtown area