LEE COUNTY, Ala. (WIAT) -- Among the youngest of the 23 victims who died in the Lee County tornadoes Sunday, March 3, the family of 6-year-old Armando "A.J." Hernandez, Jr. is getting ready to say their final goodbyes at his funeral this Friday.
A.J. was found dead Sunday night, his grandfather Bobby Kidd told CBS 42. He was sheltered in a closet with his 10-year-old brother, Jordan, and their father, Steven, when the tornado hit. A.J.'s brother Jordan spent days recovering at Children's of Alabama. His father, also spent time recovering at UAB hospital.
A.J. was preceded in death by his grandfather, Jason Franklin Atkins, Jr. He is survived by his parents, Steven Griffin and Kayla Melton; biological mother, Amanda Melton; brother, Jordan Griffin; and fur babies, Mia and Bella.
Visitation for A.J. will be held Friday, March 8, in the sanctuary at Trinity United Methodist Church from noon until 2 p.m. with the funeral service to follow at Garden Hills Cemetery.
- Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- The Latest: Arkansas River town ordered evacuated
- President Trump speaks about the 'I' word as Pelosi tries to ramp up impeachment talk among Dems
- Officer's Best Friend: K-9 partner visits his wounded Auburn Officer in hospital
- Hank Williams Jr. offering $6,000 reward for his grandfather's missing gun