BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — Traffic is being diverted and all lanes are shut down as law enforcement officials clear a fatal accident on an I-65 junction Tuesday evening.
According to a tweet from Birmingham Police, around 5:10 p.m. one person was killed in a traffic accident involving and 18-wheeler on the Interstate 65 at Interstate 20/59 North junction.
The wreck occurred when the 18-wheeler got into a wreck. The 18-wheeler was carrying cars and one of the vehicles fell off the truck, according to Birmingham Fire and Rescue Captain Gail DeJarnett. One person was pronounced dead at the scene and one person was transported to UAB hospital with unknown injuries.
The interstate will be shut down near this area for about two hours.
Check back with CBS 42 as we continue to update this story.
- Virginia man shares experiences of life in Japan during the pandemic
- Conservative talk show host Phil Valentine hospitalized with COVID; family urges others to get vaccinated
- With rising cases, experts in Alabama urge healthcare workers to get vaccinated
- Bring the pain: Olympic swimming begins with grueling 400 IM
- Surging coronavirus cases in Tuscaloosa cause concern about large concert crowds