College football fans know the atmosphere of game day in Tuscaloosa is always electric, but in 2021, it wasn’t just the Crimson Tide bringing the energy to T-town.
An annual report from Vaisala, a company that measures different weather and environmental impact, showed that Tuscaloosa was the lighting capital of Alabama in 2021.
The report, which you can read in full here, details lightning statistics from across the United States and the whole world. The United States had the second most lightning strikes (cloud to ground plus cloud pulses) behind Brazil, and within the U.S., Alabama ranked 12th in lighting strikes (cloud to ground plus cloud pulses), behind Texas, Florida, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Illinois, Nebraska, Arkansas, and Georgia.
Chris Vagasky, a meteorologist with the Vaisala Group, said Riccardo Silva Stadium at Florida International University had the most lightning strikes of the year with three home games that had lightning.
Chris did compose a list of the top 25 stadiums with the most lightning activity between 2006-2020. Only two Alabama teams’ home stadiums made that list, and neither were Alabama or Auburn.
- 25. North Texas – Apogee Stadium
- 24. Florida – Ben Hill Griffin Stadium
- 23. Troy – Veterans Memorial Stadium
- 22. Texas State – Bobcat Stadium
- 21. UCF – Bounce House
- 20. South Alabama – Hancock Whitney Stadium
- 19. Kent State – Dix Stadium
- 18. Louisiana – Cajun Field
- 17. Florida State – Doak Campbell Stadium
- 16. Texas Tech – Jones AT&T Stadium
- 15. Ole Miss – Vaught-Hemingway Stadium
- 14. Oklahoma State – Boone Pickens Stadium
- 13. Vanderbilt – Vanderbilt Stadium
- 12. Baylor – McLane Stadium
- 11. Georgia Southern – Allen E. Paulson Stadium
- 10. Kansas State – Bill Snyder Family Stadium
- 9. Air Force – Falcon Stadium
- 8. Iowa State – Jack Trice Stadium
- 7. Louisiana Tech – Joe Aillet Stadium
- 6. Florida International – Riccardo Silva Stadium
- 5. Florida Atlantic – FAU Stadium
- 4. LSU – Tiger Stadium
- 3. USF – Raymond James Stadium
- 2. Tulane – Yulman Stadium
- 1. Miami – Hard Rock Stadium