CLANTON, Ala. (WIAT) — Billy Joe Driver, the mayor of Clanton, is currently in the hospital from complications with the coronavirus.
On Thursday, Driver’s family confirmed to CBS 42 that the 84-year-old mayor was admitted to St. Vincent’s Chilton on Sunday for treatment with the virus. On Tuesday, Driver was transferred to St. Vincent’s in Birmingham.
According to the Chilton County edition of the “Images of America” book series, Driver has never lost a local race in his nearly 50-year political career in Clanton. His first foray into politics was in 1972, when he was elected to the city council. In 1984, he was elected mayor. Prior to getting into politics, Driver had worked for the city since 1953.
In 2011, he was named one of “Alabama’s Favorite Mayors” by Business Alabama Magazine.
- Birmingham Legion FC Raises $8,800 For Civil Rights Institute
- Sports bars brace for possible losses if 2020 football season is canceled
- Back to school: Lawmakers debate safest options for students, teachers as schools prepare to reopen
- Hotel owners concerned about football season in Tuscaloosa
- 100 arrested after night of looting in downtown Chicago; 13 police injured