AUBURN, Ala. (AP/WIAT) — The mayor of Auburn is proposing an ordinance that would put the brakes on any new student housing developments.
The Opelika-Auburn News reports that Mayor Ron Anders discussed the plan at a recent city council meeting.
A student housing task force has heard complaints from residents and businesses over a rising number of student developments.
The mayor said the number of beds in the city designed specifically for students is too high.
The mayor is proposing a 90-day moratorium on new developments, citing the need to reevaluate traffic and safety issues, among other things.
- Childersburg principal behind viral COVID-19 video issues challenge to other educators
- New food center coming to former Super Walmart in Fairfield
- Newsfeed Now: Walmart attack caught on video; Obituary goes viral
- Man who shot Denver officer and escaped prison in 1974 arrested in New Mexico
- Texas woman blames Trump, ‘selfish’ people for husband’s death from COVID-19 in scathing obit