AUBURN, Ala. (AP/WIAT) — The mayor of Auburn is proposing an ordinance that would put the brakes on any new student housing developments.
The Opelika-Auburn News reports that Mayor Ron Anders discussed the plan at a recent city council meeting.
A student housing task force has heard complaints from residents and businesses over a rising number of student developments.
The mayor said the number of beds in the city designed specifically for students is too high.
The mayor is proposing a 90-day moratorium on new developments, citing the need to reevaluate traffic and safety issues, among other things.
- No shortage of positive messages during COVID-19 pandemic
- For Mitch McConnell, coronvirus carries echo of his boyhood polio
- Alabaster woman spends long hours making masks to donate across the US
- Woman accused of licking $1,800 worth of items at California grocery store arrested on felony charge
- Central AL Forecast: Dry and cool through Saturday, eyeing severe weather Sunday