JEFFERSON COUNTY, Ala. (WIAT) — The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation says a man and woman wanted in connection with the death of Jefferson County woman is now in custody.
Authorities arrested Brittany McMillan, 28, and Brady Witcher, 41, late Thursday night in St. Louis. They are currently facing capital murder and kidnapping charges in Jefferson County. Capt. David Agee said there have not been plans finalized for how to extradite McMillan and Witcher back to Jefferson County
Investigators with the Jefferson County Sheriff’s office believe the two are responsible for the death of 31-year-old Kellie Ann Hughes. Hughes’ body was discovered in a wooded area near St. Vincent’s East last week. Investigators say on Dec. 13, a woman called 911 to report that she was being held against her will at some apartments in Center Point.
Deputies were able to track the woman to the apartments on Shadowood Circle. Once deputies arrived, they discovered a woman falling down the stairs with her hands bound together by zip ties.
As deputies continued investigating, they found out the victim had knowledge of a homicide that occurred and it was possibly the reason why she had been kidnapped. That information led deputies to search an area off Medical Park Drive on Dec. 14. They discovered a woman’s body in a secluded area.
Investigators say McMillan and Witcher are also wanted on charges in Tennessee involving a home invasion and a shoplifting incident at a Walmart. Those charges include especially aggravated kidnapping and theft of a motor vehicle.
- Bubba’s Block Party draws attention to diversity, inclusion to NASCAR fans
- ‘She means everything to me’ Victim wants emotional support dog returned after car theft
- Legendary guitarist James Burton confirms kidney cancer diagnosis
- Remembering fatal crash that claimed 3 lives one year ago
- ‘Complete destruction’: Aerial video shows Hurricane Ian’s impact on Sanibel Island, Fort Myers Beach