JEFFERSON COUNTY, Ala. (WIAT) — The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation says a man and woman wanted in connection with the death of Jefferson County woman is now in custody.
Authorities arrested Brittany McMillan, 28, and Brady Witcher, 41, late Thursday night in St. Louis. They are currently facing capital murder and kidnapping charges in Jefferson County. Capt. David Agee said there have not been plans finalized for how to extradite McMillan and Witcher back to Jefferson County
Investigators with the Jefferson County Sheriff’s office believe the two are responsible for the death of 31-year-old Kellie Ann Hughes. Hughes’ body was discovered in a wooded area near St. Vincent’s East last week. Investigators say on Dec. 13, a woman called 911 to report that she was being held against her will at some apartments in Center Point.
Deputies were able to track the woman to the apartments on Shadowood Circle. Once deputies arrived, they discovered a woman falling down the stairs with her hands bound together by zip ties.
As deputies continued investigating, they found out the victim had knowledge of a homicide that occurred and it was possibly the reason why she had been kidnapped. That information led deputies to search an area off Medical Park Drive on Dec. 14. They discovered a woman’s body in a secluded area.
Investigators say McMillan and Witcher are also wanted on charges in Tennessee involving a home invasion and a shoplifting incident at a Walmart. Those charges include especially aggravated kidnapping and theft of a motor vehicle.
- Demand Justice group buys Amy Coney Barrett’s domain name, site redirects to criticism of her record
- Amazon reveals over 19,000 workers got COVID-19
- Texas grand jury takes no action against man who killed church shooter
- ‘It would create a constitutional crisis’: Democrats, Republicans clash on when to fill Supreme Court vacancy
- 5,000 gallons of sodium hydrosulfite spilled on I-59 in 18-wheeler accident