BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — The Birmingham Police Department is investigating a hit-and-run that killed the driver of an 18-wheeler on I-59 earlier this month.
According to BPD, on Oct. 6 just, a white Nissan Cube struck a silver sedan on I-59 North/I-59 South just after 5 p.m. The sedan was then “catapulted” into an 18-wheeler, causing the 18-wheeler to strike a black SUV.
The driver of the 18-wheeler was pronounced dead at the scene. The white Nissan Cube fled the scene before authorities arrived.
BPD is looking for the driver of the white Nissan Cube that caused the accident.
No other information has been released at this time. If you have any information on this incident, contact BPD at 205-254-6555.
This is the fifth 18-wheeler crash CBS 42 has reported in the past two months in the Birmingham area. Clay Ingram with AAA said drivers need to realize, this is something that can happen to anyone if you aren’t careful.
“People think it’s not going to happen to them,” said Ingram. “We recently did a survey where 94% of the people we surveyed felt that distracted driving was a serious or very serious problem. Yet 40% of those same people admitted to sending a text within the last 30 days.”
- COVID-19 is evolving, ‘getting better’ at becoming an airborne virus
- Cottondale restaurant raising funds for employee who died from COVID-19
- Gabby Petito disappearance ‘not related’ to Utah double homicide, police say
- LIVE: Brian Laundrie’s whereabouts unknown as search for Gabby Petito continues
- Gabby Petito disappearance: Police don’t have missing woman’s phone, have received 1K+ tips