BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — The Birmingham Police Department is investigating an apparent murder-suicide involving a 74-year-old couple early Friday morning.
According to BPD, officers were dispatched to the 1300 block of Hartford Drive on a call of a house fire just after 4 a.m.
Once on the scene, authorities discovered two subjects lying unresponsive on the floor of the residence. 74-year-old Janette Cung was pronounced dead at the scene. 74-year-old Jonathan Cung, her husband, was taken to a local hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
Authorities revealed that Janette Cung had suffered injuries consistent with blunt force trauma and smoke inhalation. Jonathan Cung is believed to have committed suicide.
No other information has been released at this time. The investigation is still ongoing.
- Birmingham couple participates in Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine trial
- Sheriff: Florida rapper made music, then killed 2 men in recording studio
- Looking for the new Xbox or PlayStation 5? These sites will alert you when they’re back in stock
- Two charged after body of missing student found buried in Mojave Desert
- Former NFL star Marshawn Lynch hands out 200 Thanksgiving turkeys in Hawaii