UPDATE — 9 p.m.
The Birmingham Police Department reports after further investigation, investigators established the previously reported incident was not a kidnapping.
Individuals observed in the video came forward to provide clarity of the incident. We are grateful for the community members for being aware of occurrences in the community and reporting this incident. BPD and the community are thankful for the outcome in this investigation.
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — The Birmingham Police detectives are conducting a kidnapping investigation after a video captures a woman walking and a car stopping beside her, reports say she was forced inside of the vehicle.
The Birmingham Police Department needs the public’s assistance in identifying the individual and the vehicle in the below video.
Officers responded to a kidnapping call on Friday, June 3, at approximately 6:00 p.m. Authorities say a young black female was walking in the 1100 Block of Camelia Rd. when a person in a black Chrysler 300 with large wheels stopped beside the female. Reports say a black male exited the vehicle and forced the female into the car. In the video, the female is seen wearing a black sweatshirt and black sweatpants.
If you have any further information, contact Birmingham Police Department Investigative Bureau at 205-254-1764 or Crime Stoppers of Metro Alabama at 205-254-7777.
- Birmingham Legion FC Raises $8,800 For Civil Rights Institute
- Sports bars brace for possible losses if 2020 football season is canceled
- Back to school: Lawmakers debate safest options for students, teachers as schools prepare to reopen
- Hotel owners concerned about football season in Tuscaloosa
- 100 arrested after night of looting in downtown Chicago; 13 police injured