Birmingham, Ala., (WIAT) — Thursday evening’s rally turned into a march down 5th Avenue with a diverse group of people calling for justice.
This comes after a viral video made the rounds showing a white officer pressing his knee against the neck of George Floyd, ignoring the 46-year-old man’s pleas for help. As Floyd was dying, he remained handcuffed and did not appear to be resisting in the video. Floyd was pronounced dead at a Minneapolis hospital hours later and four officers were terminated from the department.
However, protesters demand that the officers responsible in Floyd’s death be charged with murder. The protest in Birmingham mirrored similar protests calling for justice for Floyd across the country.
- Virginia rocket launch may be visible for most of East Coast and as far west as Ohio
- President Trump now says he supports DACA, wants to make it law
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg hospitalized for possible infection
- JeffCo. detectives need assistance identifying suspect in CVS attempted robbery
- Unbearable summer heat affects people of color even more during COVID-19 pandemic, lawmakers say