BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — The City of Birmingham will open a warming station at Boutwell Auditorium on Monday, Nov. 30 and Tuesday, Dec. 1.
The warming station’s operating hours will be 5 p.m. to 7 a.m. each day. Boutwell Auditorium is located at 1930 Rev. Abraham Woods Blvd.
Because of the threat of COVID-19, everyone entering Boutwell will be required to wear a mask. Masks and hand sanitizer will be provided. To combat the spread of COVID-19, no food or clothing donations will be accepted. However, the following items will be accepted:
- Bottled water
- Pre-packaged, individually wrapped snacks
- Toilet paper
- Paper towels
- Travel-size hygiene products
Drop-off times for donations will be Monday and Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Boutwell. Donors can pull up in front of Boutwell and someone will be present to unload their vehicle.
The city is monitoring National Weather Service forecasts, which indicate there will be freezing temperatures on the nights of Nov. 30 and Dec. 1. Social distancing will be practiced at the warming station, which will be available to provide warmth for those without shelter.
- Post Malone donates 10,000 pairs of Crocs to frontline medical workers across the country
- Police investigating after some lawmakers claim Capitol tours were given to rioters ahead of breach
- Tuscaloosa officers receive COVID-19 vaccine
- What lies ahead for the impeachment process against Trump?
- Pelham FD contains brush fire, at least 1 acre of land burned