BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — Birmingham Fire and Rescue crews are investigating a fire at St. Mark the Evangelist Catholic Church Sunday afternoon.
Around 2:16 p.m. crews responded to call of a fire at the church. They arrived upon seeing heavy smoke. They are now putting out any hot spots, Birmingham Fire officials say.
At this time, authorities are investigating to find the cause of the fire. It’s not clear if the fire was started by a lightning strike. There was no one was in the building at the time of the fire.
Check back for more updates.
- Birmingham Legion FC Raises $8,800 For Civil Rights Institute
- Sports bars brace for possible losses if 2020 football season is canceled
- Back to school: Lawmakers debate safest options for students, teachers as schools prepare to reopen
- Hotel owners concerned about football season in Tuscaloosa
- 100 arrested after night of looting in downtown Chicago; 13 police injured