BESSEMER, Ala. (WIAT) -- UPDATE: Bessemer police chief Michael Roper confirms that a 13 year-old boy was arrested at Bessemer Middle School.
Bessemer City Middle School is off lockdown as of 2 p.m. The school went on lockdown at 12:30 p.m. Thursday afternoon after it was determined a student brought a gun to school. The Bessemer City Schools superintendent says he is not sure where the gun was found.
There were no shots fired and no one was injured.
The student is in police custody.
Bessemer Superintendent Dr.Keith Stewart commended the principal and staff for their swift action and executing the safety plan "to a tee."
CBS 42 is on the scene and will have more information on this situation shortly.
ORIGINAL STORY: According to sources, Bessemer Middle School is on lock down. It is reported that a gun was found in a student's backpack. This has been confirmed by the Bessemer Police public informant officer.
CBS 42 is working to gather more information on this situation.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
- Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Severe weather threat diminishes for Central Alabama
- Families seek shelter in Clanton
- UAB launches opioid overdose program
- Manhunt underway for suspect who fired shots at police officer in Tillman's Corner