HOOVER, Ala. (WIAT) — Ann Trucks of Cullman has been named the winner of the 36th annual Ms. Alabama Nursing Home Pageant out of a field of 50 contestants. She will now be serving as a spokesperson for the Alabama Nursing Home Association.
“I screamed ‘Did you not hear me,'” Trucks grinned. “I screamed and grabbed my head and my crown. I was so excited! My family — everybody was screaming. It was so much fun.”
Trucks, 76, said that the women from her facility at Woodland Village Rehab and Healthcare Center talked her into the competition. She went on to win the preliminary competition at Woodland Village.
“We have a lot of our nursing home family, and then our family as well [here],” said Abigail Burrow, Trucks’ granddaughter, pointing at a crowd of smiling and excited faces over her shoulder. “We felt every emotion possible! She did it! She did it!”
“It’s a big process,” said Mary Tilley of Woodland Village. “A lot of people don’t realize this is a legitimate pageant. It’s a full, blown-out pageant. You have to get outfits, hair, make-up, shoes, jewelry — everything, and just the right combination to make her look like she does today. It makes them feel special. They deserve it. Our residents are worth it.”
According to Tilley, this is the first win for Woodland Village.
The preliminary judging happened in Montgomery. The contestants sent in videos and were narrowed down to the top 10, who competed at the Hyatt Regency Birmingham Wynfrey Hotel. They were evaluated on their outlook on life, personality, poise and involvement at their respective nursing homes.
The top 10 finalists for Ms. Alabama Nursing Homes Pageant are:
– Eva McWay (62), Ms. Arlington Rehab and Healthcare Center
– Betty Gilbert (89), Ms. Brookdale University Park
– Betty Smith (85), Ms. Diversicare of Boaz
– Carolyn Daniels (71), Ms. Falkville Healthcare
– Ruth Brigham (94), Ms. Hanceville Nursing and Rehab Center
– Juanita Tant (90), Ms. St Martin’s in the Pines
– Faye Aaron (83), Ms. The Folsom Center for Nursing and Rehab
– Tracy Moore (61), Ms. The Oaks on Parkwood
– Gwen Haney (80), Ms. Wiregrass Rehab Center and Nursing Home
– Ann Trucks (76), Ms. Woodland Village Rehab and Healthcare Center