DECATUR, Ala. (AP) — An Alabama woman convicted of killing her husband in front of one of their children was sentenced to 40 years in prison after a court rejected defense claims she was mentally ill.
A Morgan County judge handed down the sentence Tuesday to 48-year-old Michelle Owens of Decatur.
A jury convicted Owens of murder in October in the killing of 44-year-old Lawrence Edward “Eddie” Owens, rejecting her claims of mental illness.
Evidence showed the man was shot to death at the couple’s home with a pistol in June 2016 as one of their young sons watched.
- Carnival extends cruise cancellations through April
- How much do tickets to Super Bowl LV in Tampa cost right now?
- NFC Matchups: Where else to start but Brady and Rodgers?
- Central AL Forecast: Gorgeous today; Showers Sunday, Storms possible Monday
- Birmingham first responders explain importance of COVID-19 vaccine