MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WIAT) — Alabama Law Enforcement Agency is urging everyone to be prepared to share the road with millions of people for the upcoming holiday.
AAA predicts more than 49 million Americans will be driving during the Thanksgiving week this year. According to data compiled by the Center for Advanced Public Safety in Alabama, 65 deaths have occurred during previous extended Thanksgiving travel periods from 2018 to 2022. Since 2019, CAPS has recorded an overall decline in traffic-related injuries and deaths, however, ALEA needs everyone’s assistance to ensure that trend continues.
ALEA troopers are offering the following traffic safety tips for this Thanksgiving:
- Take breaks and rotate drivers during long trips.
- Use seatbelts and proper child restraints.
- Remember Alabama’s Mover Over Law.
- Keep the left lane for passing only.
- Eliminate distractions while driving.
- You are the best gift you can give your family this holiday season (so drive safe and sober!)