MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WIAT) — Alabama Attorney General Steve Marshall has announced that former State Senator David Burkette has been arrested for violating the state’s Fair Campaign Practices Act.
According to Marshall, Burkette, while running for the Montgomery City Council in 2015 and 2016, deposited $3,625 in campaign donations into his personal bank account.
If convicted, Burkette faces up to a year in prison and a fine not exceeding $6,000.
The case is now being looked at AG Marshall’s Special Prosecutions Division. No other information has been released at this time.
- 2 arrested after leading deputies on chase believed to be a kidnapping
- US Supreme Court grants Alabama’s request to halt ruling on curbside voting
- Alabama groups and lawmakers react to Pope Francis same-sex union comments
- Coronavirus vaccine: When will it be ready and will it be safe?
- Birmingham city leaders and Health professionals call for more COVID-19 testing in JeffCo.