BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — A woman was pronounced dead by the Jefferson County Coroner’s Office after succumbing to her injuries. She was struck by a train. The incident happened Thursday evening, on October 24 at the 3200 block of 29th Avenue North.
According to the coroner’s office, the victim, 68-year-old Shirley Prewitt Mitchell of Birmingham, Alabama, was walking near a set of railroad tracks. There she was reportedly hit by a train.
Workers on the train were unaware of Mitchell being struck. Mitchell was able to make her way from the tracks to yell for help. A person heard Mitchell’s cries for help and found her at 10:11 p.m.
Mitchell was transported to UAB Hospital but was later pronounced dead at 10:55 p.m.
- Sen. Doug Jones responds to President Trump’s executive orders
- Robotic pets used to remedy loneliness in nursing homes across Alabama
- Trump extends unemployment benefits, defers payroll tax
- Small plane makes emergency landing on Interstate 59 in Tuscaloosa
- TikTok to file lawsuit against Trump Administration over order banning app in US