MORRIS, Ala. (WIAT) — A 5-year-old in Morris has died from their injuries after finding a handgun Sunday night.
According to the Morris Police Department, the incident occurred in the 8600 block of Triple Creek Circle Sunday night. The child passed away Monday.
The city of Morris released more information regarding the incident on Tuesday.
According to the press release, the child was brought by their mother to her boyfriend’s home. The boyfriend, Jomo Johnson, was cleaning a gun he had recently purchased and left to go to the bathroom. Johnson says during that time, the child went into the room, found the handgun and fired it, striking themselves in the face.
MPD says they will be sending their findings to the District Attorney’s Office Tuesday due to Memorial Day holiday.
- Parents of autistic children push for reduced penalty for assaulting police
- New York town of Swastika chooses to keep its name
- Photographer on a quest to capture all of Birmingham’s murals
- How can I tell the difference between the flu and COVID-19?
- Protesters leave casket full of dirt, cow manure at North Carolina police station