MORRIS, Ala. (WIAT) — A 5-year-old in Morris has died from their injuries after finding a handgun Sunday night.
According to the Morris Police Department, the incident occurred in the 8600 block of Triple Creek Circle Sunday night. The child passed away Monday.
The city of Morris released more information regarding the incident on Tuesday.
According to the press release, the child was brought by their mother to her boyfriend’s home. The boyfriend, Jomo Johnson, was cleaning a gun he had recently purchased and left to go to the bathroom. Johnson says during that time, the child went into the room, found the handgun and fired it, striking themselves in the face.
MPD says they will be sending their findings to the District Attorney’s Office Tuesday due to Memorial Day holiday.
- Foreign students who take online courses risk losing visa this fall
- Trussville PD arrests woman in connection to stolen rental car
- Sessions steps up attacks on Tuberville ahead of runoff
- Georgia Jimmy John’s workers fired for making noose out of bread dough
- Face-covering ordinances in Alabama: Where they are required and for how long