BESSEMER, Ala. (WIAT) — UPDATE (1/24/2020): According to the Jefferson County Coroner’s Office, the two men who died in a house fire at 2221 Dartmouth Avenue in Bessemer have been identified.
The victims are 57-year-old Cedric Banard Spiller and 37-year-old James Gregory Schuman.
Both victims were pronounced dead at the scene on Jan. 22, 2020.
The coroner’s office states that Spiller was from the Bessemer area and was believed to have resided at the residence.
Schuman’s last known address was in Midfield.
Bessemer Police are investigating the deaths of two black men who were discovered following a house fire Wednesday night.
Bessemer Fire and Rescue found the men’s bodies after extinguishing a house fire at 2221 Darmouth Avenue. Fire crews had received reports of a fire around 10:20 p.m. The men were pronounced dead shortly before 11 p.m.
The coroner’s office is assisting police in the investigation. The men’s cause of death and identities yet to be determined.
- The Black Church: Getting back to building wellness in Black communities
- U.S. DOT unveils new plan to reduce road deaths
- Racist slurs shouted at player during high school basketball game
- ‘They could feel each other’: Hospital puts couple with COVID together in final days
- China demands US halt Olympics ‘interference’