BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — A boy who has made national news for his unique way of honoring fallen officers has now honored another fallen officer from Alabama.
On Sunday, Zechariah Cartledge of Orlando, Florida posted a video Sunday in memory of Lowndes County Sheriff John “Big John” Williams, who was shot and killed in the line of duty Saturday night. William Chase Johnson, 18, was subsequently arrested Saturday night and charged Williams’ his murder.
The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office confirmed that Johnson is the son of one of their deputies.
Cartledge, 11, ran with an American flag in his hand Sunday night. Other officers from neighboring police departments joined Cartledge on the run. The flag will be given to Williams’ family.
For over a year, Cartledge has run miles for fallen heroes across the country in “Running 4 Heroes,” where he runs one mile for each officer killed during 2018 and 2019.
On Tuesday morning, Cartledge is scheduled to appear on “Strahan, Sara and Keke” on ABC.
- Body of Alabama sailor killed in Pensacola naval base shooting returning home Friday
- Trump says he’ll expand child care, paid leave for workers
- Military widows set to finally receive survivor benefits
- NTSB blames inadequate planning for deadly colonial pipeline explosion
- Bessemer Police looking to identify suspects stealing car parts