Brookside, Ala., (WIAT) — The city of Brookside honored several police officers and a witness Monday night who law enforcement credits with saving a woman’s life. Police say Jay Bostic is a hero. Bostic was honored with a Life-Saving Award.
Brookside Police Department officers said they found the woman inside of a cage in the back of a van. Police bodycam footage shows her dramatic rescue and the suspect’s arrest in December.
“It was Jay Bostic who alerted emergency responders to the incident,” says Brookside Chief Mike Jones.
“I’m not a hero,” says Bostic. “We’re here not to be considered heroes, but we’re here to thank the police officers. They did a magnificent job. They held composure when I was irate.” Bostic continued to say that people need to care for one another.
The woman’s rescue and the suspect’s arrest were caught on the officers’ body cameras. In addition, the Brookside officers received the Silver Star for Bravery.
If not for his call, police officials believe the outcome could’ve been very different.
- SUV in California crash where 13 died came through hole in border fence
- 2 women arrested in shooting investigation of 2-year-old
- President Biden’s COVID aid package meets divided Senate
- Target, Costco among big retailers keeping mask mandate in Texas
- WATCH: Birmingham robbery suspect holds store clerk at gunpoint, fight ensues