BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — Friday, Governor Kay Ivey declared a state of emergency since the novel COVID-19, or Coronavirus, outbreak and announced that all K-12 public schools will be closing at the end of the day Wednesday, March 18, 2020.
Many restaurants and businesses in Central Alabama are concerned about students who will not be able to have an adequate meal during school closures.
Rep. Robert Aderholt (R-AL) tweeted that the United States Department of Agriculture has granted the state of Alabama a statewide waiver to the National School Lunch Act congregate feeding requirement. This will allow schools to continue to feed students even though schools are closed.
Here is a list of businesses providing a meal for students during the closures.
- Charley’s Philly Steaks in Brookwood mall is offering free meals
- Firehouse Subs offering free kids’ combos with purchase of medium or large sub through April (present coupon)
- Homewood Bagel Company is offering free breakfast or lunch
- Jimmy John’s (At select locations)*
- Over Easy in Birmingham is offering free breakfast and lunch Monday-Friday
- Scott Crump Toyota invites students in need of a meal to visit them
- St. Clair County Schools providing meals; Link to sign up for meals
Don’t see a restaurant or business you know of, email us to add to our list.
- WATCH LIVE: Sen. Doug Jones, special guest Dr. Fauci to provide COVID-19 crisis updates
- Community holding ‘Stop the Violence’ rally in response to Riverchase Galleria shooting
- Baby on board: Tampa Bay woman gives birth on pontoon boat on 4th of July
- Destination Alabama: Cathedral Caverns
- US may ban TikTok and other Chinese social media, Pompeo says
*Select locations: Vestavia – 1919 Kentucky Avenue, Hoover – 4730 Chace Lake Circle, Inverness – 4647 HWY 280 E, Alabaster (Drive Thru) – 634 1st St N, Birmingham/Colonnade (Drive Thru) – 3411 Colonnade Parkway, Trussville – 5431 Patrick Way, Gadsden – 510 E Meighan BLVD, Jacksonville (Drive Thru) – 505 Pelham Rd N, Enterprise (Drive Thru) – 913 Rucker BLVD