(AP) — Officials in Washington state say a person has died of COVID-19, the first such death in the United States.
The new virus is a member of the coronavirus family and is a close cousin to the SARS and MERS viruses that have caused outbreaks in the past. It can cause fever, coughing, wheezing and pneumonia. Health officials think it spreads mainly from droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes, similar to how the flu spreads.
The outbreak began in China but has infected tens of thousands of people in more than three dozen countries, with the vast majority in mainland China.
- House Democrats push clean energy bills to promote electric vehicles
- AP: Trooper charged in child rape hid checkered FBI past
- Broadway readies imminent ticket sales for a fall reopening
- Missouri town in debt may disband police
- Michigan high school baseball player dies following head injury from in-game collision