BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — The Greater Birmingham Humane Society (GBHS) has partnered with the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) in housing over 30 animals from other shelters that are in Hurricane Dorian’s path.
25 cats and six dogs have been brought to GBHS from Hilton Head Humane Association located on Hilton Head Island, S.C.
GBHS is asking for donations to help with the increase in animals at the shelter. They have set up donation drop-off locations below:
- Greater Birmingham Humane Society: 300 Snow Drive, Birmingham, AL 35209
- Hollywood Feed: 2800 Cahaba Village Plaza Suite 210, Mountain Brook, AL 35243
- Petco (Trussville): 1961 Gadsden Hwy, Birmingham, AL 35235
- PetSmart (McCalla): 4925 Promenade Pkwy, Bessemer, AL 35022
- Pet Supplies Plus (Homewood): 421 Green Springs Hwy, Homewood, AL 35209
- Pet Supermarket (Vestavia): 608 Montgomery Hwy, Vestavia Hills, AL 35216
Donations GBHS is looking for include dry and wet dog and cat food, non-clumping cat litter, kennels, beds, collars and leashes, towels and toys.
This is not the first time GBHS has helped animals during natural disasters. The shelter also took in animals in 2018 during Hurricane Florence and Michael.