Friend of Ohio shooter charged with lying on firearms forms

News

File-This undated file photo provided by the Dayton Police Department shows Connor Betts. The Justice Department says a friend of Betts is being charged with lying on federal firearms forms. Authorities say more information about the charges being unsealed will be announced Monday, Aug. 12, 2019. The charges come a little over a week after the mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio. The 24-year-old Betts opened fire in a popular entertainment district, killing his sister and eight others. (Dayton Police Department via AP, File)

WASHINGTON (AP) — UPDATE 12:39 p.m – Federal authorities say Ohio shooter’s friend bought him body armor, firearm accessory earlier this year.

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) — A friend of the Dayton gunman was charged with lying on federal firearms forms, the Justice Department said Monday.

The U.S. Attorney’s office for southern Ohio said more information about the charge that is being unsealed will be released at a news conference Monday afternoon.

WATCH: U.S. Attorney holds a press conference with new developments in the Dayton, Ohio mass shooting investigation

U.S. Attorney holds a press conference with new developments in the Dayton, Ohio mass shooting investigation

LIVE NOW: U.S. Attorney holds a press conference with new developments in the Dayton, Ohio mass shooting investigation.

Posted by CBS 42 on Monday, August 12, 2019

The charge comes just over a week after the mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio, where 24-year-old Connor Betts opened fire in a popular entertainment district, killing his sister and eight others. Officers shot Betts within 30 seconds, killing him just steps outside a crowded bar.

Authorities have said hundreds more people may have died had Betts gotten inside.

Police have said there was nothing in his background that would have prevented him from buying the AR-15 style gun used in the shooting.

The weapon was bought online from a dealer in Texas and shipped to another firearms dealer in the Dayton area, police said on the day of the shooting.

Investigators have not released a motive for the shooting .

Eight of the victims who died were shot multiple times, according to the Montgomery County coroner’s office. More than 30 others were left injured, including at least 14 with gunshot wounds, hospital officials and investigators said

Just days after the shooting, Ohio Republican Gov. Mike DeWine announced a package of gun control measures , including requiring background checks for nearly all gun sales in Ohio and allowing courts to restrict firearms access for people perceived as threats.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Become a CBS 42 Coffee Club Member

CBS 42 is a proud sponsor of the *Havana Nights* Autism Shines Gala

CBS 42 is a proud Sponsor of Boiling-N-Bragging

Trending Stories