BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — True freshman Jermaine Brown ran for 116 yards and a score, Tyler Johnston III threw two touchdowns, and UAB became bowl eligible as it put Old Dominion away early with a 38-14 win on Saturday.
The victory was UAB’s 16th straight at home.
On the opening drive, ODU quarterback Messiah deWeaver fumbled and Garret Mario recovered at the 31-yard line to give UAB (6-1, 3-1 Conference USA) a short field. Lucious Stanley ran it in from 2-yards out. After an ODU punt, the teams exchanged turnovers on successive possessions before Stanley crashed in from a yard out for a two-touchdown lead.
UAB smothered the Monarchs’ (1-6, 0-3) offense, holding them to 150 total yards. deWeaver finished 6-of-24 passing for 82 yards, had 17 carries for 14 yards, and fumbled three times with the Blazers recovering twice. UAB linebacker Kristopher Moll finished with 11 tackles: 10 solo, including a sack.
The Blazers are bowl eligible for a third-consecutive year and all four seasons under head coach Bill Clark.
- FDA authorizes Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose COVID-19 vaccine
- Feds pinpoint suspect in officer’s riot death, AP reports
- Georgia County Sheriff’s deputy buys chocolate cake, makes 8-year-old’s day
- 2-year-old shot early Saturday in Birmingham
- Third stimulus checks: Here’s where we stand as February ends