DELTONA, Fla. (WNCN) – A 3-year-old boy suffered severe burns after police said a 47-year-old man poured boiling water on his back, according to the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office.
Terry May faces a charge of child abuse causing great bodily harm after being taken into custody on Thursday.
On Sept. 27, employees at the boy’s day care called deputies after seeing the burns on the boy’s back.
The sheriff’s office investigated and said May poured boiling water onto the child after the boy accidentally urinated on the floor.
May was previously charged with child abuse in 2018 in DeLand but was ultimately not prosecuted. He was accused of putting a 3-year-old in an oven, the sheriff’s office said.
The girl suffered extensive injuries, including cuts, swelling on her head, a 6-inch scar on her back, WKMG reported. The girl’s ear was burned likely from May putting her in the oven, according to a medical examiner.
May’s bond was set at $250,000 for his charge on Thursday.
- Etowah County works to reduce COVID-19 cases
- Cal-Maine Foods, Inc. donates nearly 300,000 eggs to Alabama food banks
- $218K in death of worker hit by wood in jammed machine
- Teens discover bodies stuffed in bags while filming TikTok videos
- Lawmakers work to extend unemployment benefits set to expire in July