East Texas family finds a dangerous surprise in their drive-thru order

News
Family_finds_dangerous_tool_in_Taco_Bell_9_20190327031649-3156084

Newsfeed Now Videos

Hutch woman gives gift of Christmas to 127 foster children

Thumbnail for the video titled "Hutch woman gives gift of Christmas to 127 foster children"

Newsfeed Now for December 13

Thumbnail for the video titled "Newsfeed Now for December 13"

Infant born with disorder gets multi-million dollar drug

Thumbnail for the video titled "Infant born with disorder gets multi-million dollar drug"

Church destroyed by fire

Thumbnail for the video titled "Church destroyed by fire"

China Grove Missionary Baptist Church burns this morning near Grambling

Thumbnail for the video titled "China Grove Missionary Baptist Church burns this morning near Grambling"

Wichita Thunder hands out donated bears to students

Thumbnail for the video titled "Wichita Thunder hands out donated bears to students"

Newsfeed Now for December 12, 2019

Thumbnail for the video titled "Newsfeed Now for December 12, 2019"
More Newsfeed Now

TYLER, Tex. (KETK) Getting a free item at your local drive-thru is usually a pleasant surprise.

When she arrived, she said we got a little extra from Taco Bell, said William Ratcliff, a Tyler resident.

The ‘little extra’ they received was alarming for the family. A bright yellow box cutter was sitting on top of the lunch order his wife recently ordered at the Taco Bell on Troup Highway in Tyler.

We both were concerned, the fact that somebody, they could have gotten hurt, a parent maybe have passed the food back to a small child or something, and they got ahold of it, said Ratcliff.

He says he wasn’t at all worried about the money spent or the quality of the food when they returned to the location to explain what happened. 

So I asked her to bring it back to Taco Bell, talk to the manager about it, and she brought it back, and they seemed to be more concerned about was the food good, was it correct, things like that, said RatcliffNot the fact that there was a dangerous, hazardous item placed in the bag.

Ratcliff reached out to corporate, but didn’t hear back. That’s when he reached out to KETK News.

I’m just concerned that there’s something put into place that won’t happen again, because like I said, a small child could have gotten ahold of it, you never know what could have happened, said Ratcliff.

A possible dangerous lesson averted.

KETK News heard from Taco Bell Corp. Tuesday. They say…

We are disappointed to hear of this situation and how it was handled with the customer, the safety of our customers and team members is our highest priority. The franchisee has reached out directly to apologize and will re-train its team members to ensure this does not happen again.

-Taco Bell Corp.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Aaron Nolan is a morning show co-host in Little Rock, Arkansas with Nexstar Media Group's KARK-TV. He has a passion for social media and makes it an important part of his daily routine. Click here to read Aaron's full bio.