CULLMAN, Ala. (WIAT) – The Health Care Authority of Cullman County/ Cullman Regional Board of Directors announced Thursday that they have initiated a $30 Million expansion to the current facility.
The new expansion to the facility will increase the capacity of the Critical Care Unit (ICU) by about 50%. Cullman officials say the new expansion will also increase the capacity of the Emergency Department by 50% and reduce the usage of semi-private rooms throughout the facility. This, in turn, will help increase the number of patients and emergencies that can be taken care of at any time.
WATCH: Cullman Regional Press Conference:
Cullman Regional Press Release
According to the Health Care Authority of Cullman County/ Cullman Regional Board of Directors, the expansion plans include:
· Increase the number of Critical Care Beds (CCU) from 12 to 18
· Expand the current Emergency Room Facility from 21 exam rooms and 3 behavior health treatment rooms to 30 exam rooms and 8 behavior health treatment rooms
· Create an Outpatient Behavioral Health Program
· Hospital-wide infrastructure upgrades to accommodate the additional capacity
The overall facility will receive an infrastructure upgrade in order to accommodate the additional capacity. The infrastructure upgrade will include the expansion of the onsite power plant by approximately 1,100 square feet, replacement of the cooling towers, the addition of two new chillers, the addition of new elevator controls and modification of remaining two service elevators to allow them to access all levels of the hospital.
The benefits of the expansion include:
· Reduction in semi-private room usage house wide
· Expansion of emergency room capacity from 40,000 to 60,000 annually
· Better access to the highest level of care for the sickest patients
· Better access to outpatient behavioral health treatment for our community
· Upgrades existing infrastructure to make it more sustainable for the future.
The hospital recently filed a Letter of Intent to file a Certificate of Need (CON) to the Alabama State Health Planning & Development Agency followed by the official filing of the CON.
If approved, anticipated construction will begin in the third quarter of 2020. Phase 1 of construction will include the expansion of the Emergency Department; phase 2 will include infrastructure improvements and Phase 3 will be the addition of the critical care beds which will be a ground floor to fourth-floor expansion of the west units of the current facility.