Birmingham, Ala. (WIAT) – The Birmingham Police Department reports that detectives are conducting a homicide that occurred just before 10 p.m. Friday night.
Officers from the East Precinct responded to the 200 block of 51st North on a report of shots fired in the area.
When officers arrived at the scene, a person had reported they were the victim of a robbery.
During the same time officers from the South Precinct responded to Children’s Hospital to investigate a reported shooting victim that had arrived by private vehicle.
Officers soon learned that the victim was shot at the location of the East Officers’ shooting investigation.
39-year-old Rodregous Gurly of Tarrant was provided treatment by personnel from Children’s Hospital and then was transferred to UAB Hospital where he later died from his injuries.
Officers from both precincts coordinated their investigations and determined that the incidents were related.
Additional investigations by detectives determined that the subject that attempted to report a robbery was the suspect in the shooting of the victim.
The suspect was taken into custody and held in connection with the shooting.
- Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- A single-vehicle crash claimed the life of a Haleyville woman
- Saturday is National Puppy Day!
- MAJOR SALE: Lovelady Thrift celebrates its birthday with 50% off everything Saturday
- Grammy-winning singer Jason Isbell brings new fest home