BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — The Jefferson County District Attorney’s Office has announced that an arrest has been made in the shooting of a Birmingham police officer Wednesday.
On Thursday, the Jefferson County DA confirmed that Kenneth Whitehead, 40, was being charged with two counts of attempted murder in the shooting of Sgt. Anthony Wheeler, a 10-year veteran with the Birmingham Police Department who was injured during a shooting on Tuscaloosa Avenue Wednesday.
According to court documents, Whitehead pleaded guilty to first degree robbery in 2005 and had other charges on his record in the following years, such as possession of a controlled substance and first-degree possession of marijuana.
The DA’s Office said that while Whitehead had yet to be booked in the Jefferson County Jail, it was unclear if he was in the hospital or not.
- Target to limit number of customers in stores starting Saturday
- PHOTOS: Bottomed out on toilet paper
- Trump campaign calls Sessions ‘delusional’ in letter
- HBO offering more than 500 hours of shows, movies for free in April
- Hundreds of sailors give hero’s send-off to fired commander of aircraft carrier hit by coronavirus