BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — The Birmingham Police Department is investigating a homicide that left one person dead and another critically injured Saturday evening.
Around 11:30 p.m., officers responded to a call of a person shot in the 3800 block of 39th Court North. Once officers arrived, the victim was lying in the front yard unresponsive suffering from a gunshot wound, the Birmingham Police Department reports.
Birmingham Fire & Rescue transported the victim to UAB hospital where he later died due to his injury and was pronounced dead by hospital staff.
Later that night, officers discovered another person inside the home that was also suffering from a gunshot wound. Investigators identified the injured person as the suspect in the shooting investigation. The suspect was transported to UAB hospital where they are in critical condition, police report.
At this time, investigators are continuing to gather information. Police have not released the name of the victim in this investigation.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
- Central AL Forecast: More Sunshine Tomorrow, A Little Cooler Friday
- Gov. Ivey issues apology to 16th Street Baptist Church bombing survivor
- Republicans optimistic about president’s pick for Supreme Court; Democrats worry for ACA
- Judge delays release of Breonna Taylor grand jury recording until Friday
- Fauci: Pandemic causing ‘historic decimation’ among Latinx community