MADISON, Ala. (AP) — Authorities say a man who was shot to death by police in north Alabama pointed a gun at officers before the shooting.
New outlets report that the Madison County Sheriff’s Office says 39-year-old Dana Sherrod Fletcher was shot to death by Madison police on Sunday.
A statement from the sheriff’s office says officers have video that shows Fletcher fighting officers and holding a gun. But both the sheriff’s office and the city are refusing to release video of the shooting.
Fletcher was shot to death outside a gym where someone had reported that a man and woman were videoing people.
Madison Police Maj. John Stringer has said the man didn’t follow orders from officers. Five officers have been placed on paid leave, and two reportedly fired shots.
- Birmingham Legion FC Raises $8,800 For Civil Rights Institute
- Sports bars brace for possible losses if 2020 football season is canceled
- Back to school: Lawmakers debate safest options for students, teachers as schools prepare to reopen
- Hotel owners concerned about football season in Tuscaloosa
- 100 arrested after night of looting in downtown Chicago; 13 police injured