MADISON, Ala. (AP) — Authorities say a man who was shot to death by police in north Alabama pointed a gun at officers before the shooting.
New outlets report that the Madison County Sheriff’s Office says 39-year-old Dana Sherrod Fletcher was shot to death by Madison police on Sunday.
A statement from the sheriff’s office says officers have video that shows Fletcher fighting officers and holding a gun. But both the sheriff’s office and the city are refusing to release video of the shooting.
Fletcher was shot to death outside a gym where someone had reported that a man and woman were videoing people.
Madison Police Maj. John Stringer has said the man didn’t follow orders from officers. Five officers have been placed on paid leave, and two reportedly fired shots.
- Bessemer City Schools names Dr. Autumm Jeter as new superintendent
- Authorities looking for missing 10-year-old in Tuscaloosa County
- Report: Oneonta has the 4th slowest internet in U.S.
- Congressmen push for Global War on Terror memorial
- Family raising awareness on dangers of drowsy driving in Alabama