BESSEMER, Ala. (WIAT) — UPDATE (4/9): The Bessemer Police Department has arrested the man who claimed to be the victim of a home invasion and stabbed another man Wednesday morning.
Alexander Tubbs, 33, said he stabbed 36-year-old Jeffery S. Burke after Burke allegedly tried to break into his home. Burke died from his injuries after crashing a car a block away from the home.
After further investigation, however, Bessemer PD were able to determine that Tubbs and Burke were in the same car that had crashed Tuesday night with two other people. An argument ensued which led to Tubbs stabbing Burke multiple times. Burke tried to escape the vehicle but died in the process.
Tubbs has now been charged with murder and is being held on a $45,000 bond.
No other information has been released at this time.
ORIGINAL (4/9): Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding a man who was killed during what is being reported as a home invasion in Bessemer Wednesday morning.
According to the Jefferson County Coroner’s Office, Jeffery S. Burke, 36, sustained fatal injuries at a home located in the 1700 block of Fairfax Alley. An autopsy is scheduled to be performed Thursday to determine the cause of death, which is being investigated by the Bessemer Police Department as a homicide.
There are no suspects are in custody at this time.
No other information was released Thursday morning.
- In ambulances, an unseen, unwelcome passenger: COVID-19
- Las Vegas law allowing alcohol deliveries from restaurants, convenience stores goes into effect
- Super Bowl LV odds: Kansas City a 3.5-point favorite
- At least 31 law enforcement officers in 12 states tied to storming of the Capitol
- Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl