BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — Deputies are investigating a fatal shooting that left a 19-year-old man dead in east Birmingham.
On Friday, February 21, Jefferson County deputies responded to a report of a shooting at a home in the 1200 block of Birchwood Street around 8:35 p.m. Deputies arrived and found 19-year-old Avonte Damall Washington dead on the scene, officials report.
Witnesses identified the suspect and informed deputies that he and Washington knew each other. Witnesses also informed deputies that the suspect was hit by gunfire as he fled from the home.
Birmingham police officers were able to locate the suspect on a road nearby. He was transported to a hospital for treatment of his injury.
Jefferson County Detectives are investigating this crime. At this time, the sheriff’s office has not released the name of the suspect in this case. Check back for more details as CBS 42 continues to keep you updated.
- Alabama inmate killed during fight with another prisoner
- What you need to know today about the virus outbreak
- Fatal hit-and-run accident under investigation in east Birmingham
- Cruise ships must stay at sea with sick on board, Coast Guard says
- Video shows Disney raising American flag inside empty Magic Kingdom