HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WIAT) – Huntsville Police have made an arrest after one of their officers was fatally shot Friday night.
LaJeromeny Brown, 41, was arrested Friday night. Huntsville Police Department reports Brown is from Tennessee.
During a news conference, police said Brown was involved in a pursuit with the STAC team.
According to a Facebook post from Huntsville Police, STAC agents had set up a drug buy at a house on Lavert Street. When officers arrived, Brown immediately shot Huntsville Police Officer Billy Clardy III, hitting him outside his bulletproof vest. Other officers on a perimeter captured Brown after a short foot chase.
Clardy was taken to Huntsville Hospital in critical condition, but died later Friday night, according to Hunstville Police Chief Mark McMurray.
HPD Spokesman Lt. Michael Johnson said Friday Brown was “well-known to the department.”
According to Johnson, Brown faces charges of capital murder.
Jail records show Brown was being held in the Madison County Jail with no bond.
- SEC announces partnership with contact tracing company
- Panel to look at old Alabama prisons as new ones planned
- Labor Day holiday has yet to lead to virus surge in Alabama
- Librarians react to furloughing of library employees set to begin Friday
- St. Clair County falls victim to cyber attack, investigation underway