BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — The case against a 16-year-old suspect in connection to an officer-involved shooting in Birmingham back in January is heading to a grand jury.
Suspect Jahmari Wright is charged with attempted murder after he allegedly shot Birmingham Police Detective John Finke on Jan. 26 after a robbery. Wright previously was scheduled to have a preliminary hearing Thursday morning, but his legal team waived it before it was set to begin that day, opting instead to have the case go right to a grand jury.
A second suspect, 25-year-old Christopher Leon Burke, is charged with two-first degree robbery charges and is accused of providing Wright with a gun for the robbery.
During the hearing, bond for Wright was reduced from $800,000 to $500,000.
- 1 dead after shooting in Fairfield, woman being questioned
- Small Business Saturday brings excitement for Homewood businesses
- Omicron: World scurries to contain new COVID variant
- Spoiled generation: 4 in 5 parents say children aren’t thankful for what they have
- Tractor trailer overturns at ‘Dead Man’s Curve’ on Interstate 20