UPDATE (1:31 p.m., 1/16) — Following an investigation, a homicide that occurred on Coosa Street Jan. 13 has been reclassified as a “justified death.”
“BPD Homicide Investigators presented the information gathered on the case to the Jefferson County District Attorney’s office for review,” a statement from BPD read. “Following the assessment of the information, the Jefferson County District Attorney’s office ruled the actions of the subject involved were justified as defense.”
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — A shooting in the early morning hours Monday left one man dead.
At 2:03 a.m., officers from the Birmingham Police Department’s South Precinct were called to the 900 block of Coosa Street regarding a man who had been shot. Upon arrival, officers found David Franklin Lee, 37, unresponsive and suffering from a gunshot wound.
Lee was pronounced dead at the scene.
“The preliminary investigation reveals that the victim was involved in a verbal altercation when he was shot by an unknown suspect,” a release from the BPD stated.
There are currently no suspects at this time.
- Birmingham police searching for missing 24-year-old autistic man
- Let’s Talk Law – Nicotine Poisoning
- Future of upcoming SEC football season still up in the air
- LIVE: Sen. Doug Jones to provide COVID-19 crisis update
- LIVE: Birmingham Mayor Woodfin to provide updates regarding COVID-19 pandemic and a Task force