BRUNSWICK, Ga. (CNN Newsource) — Calls for justice are growing in Georgia, and elsewhere for Ahmaud Arbery.
Over the weekend, family and friends honored the shooting victim who would have turned 26-years-old last Friday. Arbery was shot to death back on Feb. 23 near Brunswick, Georgia. Gregory McMichael and his son, Travis, are facing murder and aggravated assault charges. On Sunday, an open letter calling for swift justice was sent to Georgia officials by a group of musicians including Jay-Z and Alicia Keys.
Georgia Attorney General Chris Carr is requesting the U.S. Department of Justice investigate the handling of the matter. Wanda Cooper, Arbery’s mother, spoke out about the investigation.’
“What I’m seeking is those guys, all the guys that were involved in the murder of my son, to go to prison possibly for the rest of their lives,” Cooper said.
A police report shows Gregory Mcmichael said he thought Arbery fit the description of a suspect in break-ins in the area.
- Inauguration Day from the perspective of future voters, middle schoolers taking civics
- The heartwarming story behind Bernie Sanders’ iconic Inauguration mittens
- Springfield youth inspired by the Inauguration of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris
- 2 Pickens County law enforcement officers save infant who was found not breathing
- Chiefs’ Chad Henne goes from backup QB to playoff stage