BESSEMER, Ala. (WIAT) — The city of Bessemer opened the first community storm shelter and emergency operations center storm shelter Wednesday.
The shelters are located at the Emergency Operations Center on Ninth Avenue SW. FEMA provided a grant to help pay for 75% of the Community Safety Room cost.
This comes after Mayor Kenneth Gulley said the April 2014 tornado implored him to discuss possible shelter construction with city leaders.
The Bessemer City Council and Mayor Gulley will say they will try to find additional resources and grants to construct other shelters in the city.
- JCSO investigating Birchwood Street homicide
- Residents asking for help fixing roads in Greene County after flooding
- Alabama sheriff tries to bar gambling, drinking evidence
- Ex-Auburn players Robinson, Bray granted bond on pot charges
- Super Tuesday countdown: Texas may be a make-or-break for 2020 Democratic candidates