BESSEMER, Ala. (WIAT) — The city of Bessemer opened the first community storm shelter and emergency operations center storm shelter Wednesday.
The shelters are located at the Emergency Operations Center on Ninth Avenue SW. FEMA provided a grant to help pay for 75% of the Community Safety Room cost.
This comes after Mayor Kenneth Gulley said the April 2014 tornado implored him to discuss possible shelter construction with city leaders.
The Bessemer City Council and Mayor Gulley will say they will try to find additional resources and grants to construct other shelters in the city.
- Hopkins, UAB ground game chew up UTEP
- ‘It was pretty terrifying’: Hero officers rescue unconscious woman from burning car in Farmville
- Texas search group resumes effort to find Aniah Blanchard
- Georgia holds on to win, 21-14 over Auburn Tigers
- Tua throws 2 TDs, leaves game with injury; Tide defeats Mississippi State 38-7