BESSEMER, Ala. (WIAT) — The city of Bessemer opened the first community storm shelter and emergency operations center storm shelter Wednesday.
The shelters are located at the Emergency Operations Center on Ninth Avenue SW. FEMA provided a grant to help pay for 75% of the Community Safety Room cost.
This comes after Mayor Kenneth Gulley said the April 2014 tornado implored him to discuss possible shelter construction with city leaders.
The Bessemer City Council and Mayor Gulley will say they will try to find additional resources and grants to construct other shelters in the city.
- Central AL Forecast: Cooler & Quiet as Fall Begins on Tuesday
- Celebrities react to death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- GOP senator to introduce bill reimbursing parents $800 for remote learning expenses
- ‘Thank you for everything’: Oklahoma man battling COVID-19 texts mom before going into coma
- ‘Dewgarita’: How to make the Mountain Dew margarita Red Lobster’s now serving