(NEXSTAR) – “Jim Carrey is our new Joe Biden!” tweeted “Saturday Night Live.”
Carrey will play the former vice president and Democratic presidential nominee when the show returns Oct. 3 for its 46th season, NBC said Wednesday.
“There was some interest on his part, and then we responded, obviously, positively,” SNL producer Lorne Michaels told New York magazine’s Vulture. “But it came down to discussions about what the take was. He will give the part energy and strength, and hopefully, it’s funny.”
Though Carrey is not a regular SNL cast member, the “Mask” star has hosted the show several times.
Former SNL cast member Jason Sudekis has been known for portraying Biden most frequently. Woody Harrelson and John Mulaney have also taken on the role.
President Donald Trump has been played by actor Alec Baldwin since the show’s 42nd season in 2016.
- ‘Great leader’: Principal fixes haircut of student who refused to go to class on first day of school
- Third stimulus checks: Here’s who would get $1,400 under the House relief plan
- Man spends hours yelling for help after vehicle plunges over cliff on mountain pass
- WATCH: UAB doctor on how smoking affects those with COVID-19
- Caught on camera: Workers damage family’s new fridge during delivery