DOTHAN, Ala. (AP) — A 20-year-old Alabama man accused of shooting a friend to death at a pool party last year has pleaded guilty to manslaughter.
News outlets report Fisher Corbin Shipes entered his plea Monday. A Houston County grand jury indicted him in September 2018 in the death of 19-year-old Christian Mullins.
Dothan police have said they responded to a home in May 2018 and found Mullins suffering from a shotgun wound to his torso. A friend of Mullins first told police he was shot by an unknown assailant. But police said they discovered that story was false and later accused Shipes of firing at Mullins from across the room “while consuming an alcoholic beverage.”
Dothan Police Investigator Curtis Stephens said Shipes believed the shotgun was unloaded.
Sentencing is scheduled for January.
- Northbound lanes closed until further notice on Talladega highway due to overturned 18-wheeler
- ‘This election is far from over’: Union representatives to take legal action against Amazon
- Moody resident dies after multi-vehicle accident on I-20
- BPD: Heavy police presence after shots fired in Gate City
- Ozark veterinarian charged with 2 counts of animal cruelty