JEFFERSON COUNTY, Ala. (WIAT) — A Jefferson County grand jury has indicted the man who is accused of killing a Kimberly police officer earlier this year.
Preston Johnson, 38, was charged Wednesday, Dec. 16, with capital murder, attempted murder, and discharging a firearm into an occupied vehicle. He is accused of shooting and killing officer Nick O’Rear.
The shooting happened during a chase on I-65 in February 2020.
There is a Gofundme campaign underway to rename that stretch of the interstate after O’Rear.
- White House COVID-19 response team to hold briefing as US approval of J&J vaccine nears
- Coroner: Woman died after falling off parking deck near Children’s Hospital
- Prattville man struck, killed by vehicle on I-65
- LIVE: House expected to approve $1.9T virus relief bill
- Biden’s Texas visit marks first trip to disaster site since taking office