PELL CITY, Ala. (WIAT)– You’re never too old for a visit from Santa Claus.
Lifting Spirits of Senior Citizens is making sure nursing home residents are remembered this holiday season by asking you to Adopt-A-Grandparent.
Nursing homes send a list of residents with little to no family remaining along with the residents’ wants and needs.
The list is shared to Lifting Spirits’ Facebook page for families to “adopt” an elderly resident and provide them with a Christmas present(s).
“It’s a reason to go in there and tell them Merry Christmas,” says Ivy Pattillo, the founder of Lifting Spirits.
It’s similar to the Angel Tree program.
Pattillo said you can deliver the present to your “grandparent” or have Santa Claus deliver it.
Volunteers will head out Dec. 21 to visit the participating nursing homes and pass out the presents.
Pattillo says adoptable grandparents come from across Pell City, Trussville, Talladega and she is working on expanding.
Lifting Spirits also collects donations to put together gift bags for all of the residents and volunteers.
Pattillo says the organization has been delivering presents since 2006 and continues to grow every year.
“I have big dreams,” she says of her hopes to spread across central Alabama.
Learn more about the organization and how you can help by visiting them on Facebook.
- Fellow sportscaster reveals to Jarrett Payton he used to babysit him, brings evidence
- Kobe Bryant’s daughter: unmatched work ethic, constant smile
- Bloomberg vows steadfast commitment to US aid for Israel
- Coroner: 2 dead, 7 injured in South Carolina bar shooting
- Man will be tried on killing Sgt. Wytasha Carter, injuring other officer at same time