SOUTHWEST, Fla. (WIAT) — A Warsaw grouper caught in southwest Florida at the end of 2019 is making big news.
On Dec. 29, the 350-pound fish was caught in 600 feet of water in the Gulf of Mexico. Researchers with the the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission’s Fish and Wildlife Research Institute estimate the fish was approximately 50 years old.
“Acquiring the otolith from this fish was extremely valuable as samples from larger and older fish are rare,” the group said on their Facebook page.
- Blount County Sheriff’s Office has service with BWWB canceled
- Louisiana man accused of hiding in Florida 15-year-old’s bedroom, having sex since August
- Mom says 10-year-old son badly hurt by explosive disguised as Christmas ornament
- Poll: More than a third of Americans won’t even trust their doctor to tell them a COVID-19 vaccine is safe
- Dolly Parton announces release date for Netflix Christmas movie